Join us for an interactive workshop on brushless dc motors design hosted by Jim Hendershot, renowned electric motor expert. This full day event will cover a broad range of topics and cover useful techniques and tips on how to approach your next motor project.
The workshop will focus on practical problems faced by real designers in their work environment. Jim will discuss the design process based on the motor specifications provided by the attendees and guide you through the process of obtaining a motor that meets the requirements.
Design specification: detailed discussions of typical design criteria including required power, efficiency, drive configurations, size constraints, cooling methods etc.
Getting an initial design:
- Sizing of the motor using analytic and other methods
- Rotor and stator configurations
- Air gap shear stress based outer and inner diameters
- Magnet and lamination material selection
- Loss and efficiency considerations; Ohmic, hysteresis and eddy current losses.
- Winding types and design; lap/concentric windings, balanced windings, winding factors etc.
Improving performance with each design iteration based on desired machine characteristics (efficiency, torque-speed characteristics, back emf, electric & magnetic loadings, flux density distribution, loss distribution etc).
Performance profile: Kt, Ke values, static and dynamic analysis, lumped parameter model, d-q analysis, PWM analysis.